Sunday 7 April 2013

Killed in Action Pte Frank Thackery of Sheffield KOYLI


I'm including this memorial photograph on my website in the hopes that Frank Thackery's family might one day be able to find it.
The card was left to me by my Grand-aunt, Ada Webster nee Whitaker, and was originally the property of her brother, Ernest Whitaker, who also served with the KOYLI regiment during the First World War.
I assume that Thackery was a dear friend of my Grand-uncle Ernest.

Killed in Action
205168 Pte F Thackery 4th September 1917
12th KOYLI Pioneers




In Memory of Private Frank Thackery 205168 12th Bn Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry who died an 4 September 1917 age 22
Husband of Flora Thackery, of 119 Boston Street, Sheffield
Remembered with Honour Railway Chateau Cemetery, Belgium.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how stunning it is to find this post. Frank Thackery is a half-brother to my sons' gg grandfather. Knowing he was killed in the war, every so often I conduct a Google search to see if there is any new data available; when I saw the photo my stomach had butterflies!

    Frank had only been married five months when he was killed, and two months before his only child, also named Frank, was born. Frank Jr. died in WWII.

    I can't thank you enough for sharing this priceless piece of family history and God bless Uncle Ernest for remembering a fallen comrade!

    ReplyDelete